Saturday, July 12, 2014

Guilt-free Baking

I had the pleasure of borrowing a review ARC of Guilt-free Baking through Netgalley.

 Usually, low fat desserts involve a lot of sugar, and low-calorie baking is just a nightmare of chemical soup. But whole grains and solid ingredients carefully balanced to create the perfect baked good? Now that's a concept I can get behind. Of course, they really got me at Lavender Cupcakes. I have a soft spot for cooking with lavender (any edible flower, really, but lavender in specific- it's what defines the cola flavor profile), and when the ingredient list is as smooth as self rising flour, baking powder, baking soda, sea salt, dried lavender, sugar, plain yogurt, vanilla bean paste, milk, and sunflower oil... well, you have an eager audience.

I admit my skepticism is only outweighed by my curiosity when it comes to the chocolate cupcakes with avocado frosting. I may yet have to attempt this recipe. The directions, as with all the directions in this book, are straightforward, and I don't feel they exceed my culinary talents. A great boon to the decision making process, when staring down any of these recipes, is the quick nutrition guideline for each recipe, delineating the calories and fat along with approximate prep time and number of servings. Of course, that only holds if you follow the recipes as written instead of venturing off on your own, using them more as a guildebook than anything else.

All in all, a good book to expand your less guilty indulgence repertoire. 




No comments:

Post a Comment